Although we often hear the statistic that 50% of all marriages end in divorce, it is somewhat heartening to know that many couples do believe that relationship is worth the time and effort to save. In fact, a recent study conducted by MidAmerica Nazarene University, concludes that nearly 49% of married, engaged or divorced couples have attended some form of counseling. This statistic shows that not only are some relationships that seem to be doomed salvageable; it shows how difficult marriage is in general. Here are some of the most common reasons couples seek marriage counseling.
- Infidelity: Marriage is a sacred trust between two people and when one partner engages in an extramarital affair it is a breach of trust that can seem impossible to transcend. In order to repair such a breach, both partners must desire this and must be willing to listen to an objective third party.
- Money: This is a broad category but financial differences could include choices on what to spend money on, an unequal division of finances, resentments of spending behavior etc.
- Children: Parenting issues can cause a tremendous strain on a marriage. This is especially the case when a blended family is involved or when each partner has different views on child rearing. For example, one partner may believe that the other parent is too strict while the other may believe that his/her partner is too lenient. In this case, pre-marriage counseling may even be helpful.
- In-Laws: When you marry a person you also marry into that person’s family. This fact sets the scene for all kinds of potential personality conflicts.
· Communication Issues: Good communication is the key to every kind of human interaction but it is critical in maintaining a healthy relationship. When the lines of communication break down and become negative, or do not occur at all, a marriage can begin to crumble.
Creating a harmonious marriage is not intuitive. Indeed, marriage is fraught with all kinds of challenges that couples must be willing to face together. It sometimes requires instruction and guidance from those outside the marriage. That is why marriage counseling in Culver City is one of the things we do best. Our counselors value the sanctity of this most sacred union and listen to both sides. We also specialize in anger management in Brentwood.